Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Do Not Only Seek Out "Yes" Men

Today's Reading
1 Kings Chp 22

As the Jewish kingdom remains divided, the kings over the factions continue to sin and anger the Lord.   Here we see that Ahab seeks to attack Aram and to validate his plan Ahab seeks counsel from the prophets who tell him that yes you should go:

6 So the king of Israel brought together the prophets—about four hundred men—and asked them, “Shall I go to war against Ramoth Gilead, or shall I refrain?”
   
“Go,” they answered, “for the Lord will give it into the king’s hand.” (verses 6-7)

Yet, there is one prophet - Micaiah- who is not a "yes" man...and Ahab despises Micaiah because of this.

8 The king of Israel answered Jehoshaphat, “There is still one prophet through whom we can inquire of the LORD, but I hate him because he never prophesies anything good about me, but always bad. He is Micaiah son of Imlah.”(verse 8)

Micaiah is called before the kings regarding the word of the Lord on this plan to attack Aram and Micaiah indicates that:
17 Then Micaiah answered, “I saw all Israel scattered on the hills like sheep without a shepherd, and the LORD said, ‘These people have no master. Let each one go home in peace.’” (verse 17)

He goes on to say:

19 Micaiah continued, “Therefore hear the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne with all the multitudes of heaven standing around him on his right and on his left. 20 And the LORD said, ‘Who will entice Ahab into attacking Ramoth Gilead and going to his death there?’
  
 “One suggested this, and another that. 21 Finally, a spirit came forward, stood before the LORD and said, ‘I will entice him.’ 

 22 “‘By what means?’ the LORD asked.

   “‘I will go out and be a deceiving spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,’ he said.

   “‘You will succeed in enticing him,’ said the LORD. ‘Go and do it.’

 23 “So now the LORD has put a deceiving spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The LORD has decreed disaster for you.” (verse 19-23)

Of course, Ahab completely ignores the words of Micaiah and of course he is killed in battle.

The questions for me of course are:
- do I only seek counsel from "yes" men
- if I do seek counsel from those who speak truth, do I obey or do I willingly disobey

I know for myself that from time to time  I answer yes to the first question and I often willingly disobey truth.  Lord help me.

My Prayer: Lord, your truth has set me free...in so many ways.  Yet I continue to sin, and I am so deeply sorry for this.  I don't want to sin but I do.  Please forgive me that I am harsh with my wife and my children.  Help me love and encourage as you do.  Please please please help me with this.