Saturday, February 12, 2011

God's Compassion Knows No Bounds

Today's Reading
1 Kings Chp 21

Here is the story of King Ahab who desires the vineyard of Naboth, yet after asking for it does not get it.  So his wife Jezebel conspires to have Naboth killed so that the vineyard can be Ahab's.

What struck me first was the arrogance of Jezebel:

6 He answered her, “Because I said to Naboth the Jezreelite, ‘Sell me your vineyard; or if you prefer, I will give you another vineyard in its place.’ But he said, ‘I will not give you my vineyard.’”

7 Jezebel his wife said, “Is this how you act as king over Israel? Get up and eat! Cheer up. I’ll get you the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite.” (verses 6-7)

The arrogance is that based on your position of leadership you can do anything, even murder - despite the word of God.    It is written here that Ahab is truly the "vilest":

25 (There was never anyone like Ahab, who sold himself to do evil in the eyes of the LORD, urged on by Jezebel his wife. 26 He behaved in the vilest manner by going after idols, like the Amorites the LORD drove out before Israel.)(verses 25-26)


Yet, even with such vile acts and the evil nature of Ahab, God finds it within himself to show compassion for Ahab.   Elijah confronts Ahab and after the admonishment:

27 When Ahab heard these words, he tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and fasted. He lay in sackcloth and went around meekly. 

 28 Then the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite: 29 “Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself, I will not bring this disaster in his day, but I will bring it on his house in the days of his son.”


God's compassion is great and it is available for all of us and because of this we should show compassion to all others.


My Prayer: Lord, you compassion is great!  I have seen your love, mercy and compassion in my life in the face of my own sin.  How you have forgiven me and blessed me despite my sin.  Forgive me Lord when I don't show compassion and mercy and help me show compassion and mercy to others as you have shown me.