Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Beware of False Prophets...and Stay Close to God

Today's Reading
1 Kings Chp 13

Here we find a man of God who is instructed in specific ways to deal with Jeroboam and then the man of God is told:

But the man of God answered the king, “Even if you were to give me half your possessions, I would not go with you, nor would I eat bread or drink water here. 9 For I was commanded by the word of the LORD: ‘You must not eat bread or drink water or return by the way you came.’” (verses 8-10)

Yet the man of God is met by an old prophet who claims to have seen an angel of the Lord who tells him that he must eat and drink with the man of God:

18 The old prophet answered, “I too am a prophet, as you are. And an angel said to me by the word of the LORD: ‘Bring him back with you to your house so that he may eat bread and drink water.’” (But he was lying to him.) 19 So the man of God returned with him and ate and drank in his house. (verses 18-19)

So the man of God goes and ultimately is struck down by God because he defied God's specific instructions.

How does this happen?  We are not on guard and we veer from God.  The book of Jude in verses 20-22 give us specific guidance about how we can be on guard.

20 But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.
  
22 Be merciful to those who doubt; 23 save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh. (1 Jude 20-22)


My Prayer:Lord, you are holy and perfect and your example, your love, and your guidance for me is perfect.  Forgive me when I fall prey to false prophets.  Help build me up and help me seek you out in prayer.  Help me love you more, trust you more, pray to you and with you more, and help me be more like you through obedience to you.  I love you Lord.