Saturday, January 29, 2011

Take Wise Counsel From Others - If It Makes You Uncomfortable, Then You Are Probably Doing Something Right

Today's Reading
1 Kings Chp 12

Let me start with the following premise: that we are born sinners, and once we accept Christ as our savior God will always be molding as until the day we die.  Sometimes it may feel as if we are in the refiners fire, and other times it may not.  In either state, we are to keep moving (run) as it says in Hebrews:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. (Hebrews 12:1-2)

To this end, the movement towards Christ and the molding/transformation of our heart includes our acceptance of teaching from others as these people are placed in our lives for a reason.

For Rehoboam, unfortunately, he does not accept this counsel - and the consequences are not good, nor are the consequences for Israel.  Rehoboam fulfills the prophecy of Ahijah in 1 Kings 11:29 that the kingdom established under the House of David, including both Solomon and then his son Rehoboam would be divided. 

 13 The king answered the people harshly. Rejecting the advice given him by the elders, 14 he followed the advice of the young men and said, “My father made your yoke heavy; I will make it even heavier. My father scourged you with whips; I will scourge you with scorpions.” 15 So the king did not listen to the people, for this turn of events was from the LORD, to fulfill the word the LORD had spoken to Jeroboam son of Nebat through Ahijah the Shilonite.


Although Rehoboam would not be able to change God's plans, the words of God for me I see are that wise counsel is critical and that if I am to invite others to pour themselves into my life - I am to listen and follow their advice, even if I don't like it.

My Prayer: Lord, you're counsel is great and your plan for me is great!  Forgive me when I neglect our relationship and when I don't seek you out.  Forgive me when I don't trust you or your words for me.  Please help me submit to you, your plan for me, and help me both seek wise counsel and to take this wise counsel, even if it is uncomfortable.