Tuesday, January 4, 2011

If You Are In Relationship with God, He Will Respond

Today's Reading
1 Samuel Chps 25-30

I often hear that God can answer prayer in many ways, including who responds and what the response is.  If only we are in relationship with Him.  Saul is clearly not in relationship with God as Saul continues to pursue David.  As the Philistines gather against Saul, he is filled with fear and sins by seeking a medium to understand God's will and plan:

 4 The Philistines assembled and came and set up camp at Shunem, while Saul gathered all Israel and set up camp at Gilboa. 5 When Saul saw the Philistine army, he was afraid; terror filled his heart. 6 He inquired of the LORD, but the LORD did not answer him by dreams or Urim or prophets. 7 Saul then said to his attendants, “Find me a woman who is a medium, so I may go and inquire of her.”  (1 Sam 28: 4-7)

Clearly God does not desire us to seek mediums or spiritists as he indicated so through Moses:

10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD; because of these same detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. (Deuteronomy 18:10-12)

Through his sin, Saul separates himself from God and is unable to discern God's will and cannot hear God's words for him.

The spirit of Samuel makes it clear:

Samuel said, “Why do you consult me, now that the LORD has departed from you and become your enemy? 1718 Because you did not obey the LORD or carry out his fierce wrath against the Amalekites, the LORD has done this to you today. 19 The LORD will deliver both Israel and you into the hands of the Philistines, and tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. The LORD will also give the army of Israel into the hands of the Philistines.” (1 Sam 28:16-19) The LORD has done what he predicted through me. The LORD has torn the kingdom out of your hands and given it to one of your neighbors—to David.

How many times do I go to God and assume that because I don't hear a response that there is no response.  For me the point is clear, if we are close to God he will always respond and we just need to listen for the response and be aware of how it may be delivered - which is often very mysterious unless we are attentive.

In contrast to Saul, David is in relationship with God and he is able to discern - as clear as day.  As the Amalekites talked of stoning David:

But David found strength in the LORD his God. (1 Samuel 30:6)

In drawing near to the Lord, David is able to hear God's response:

...and David inquired of the LORD, “Shall I pursue this raiding party? Will I overtake them?”
   
“Pursue them,” he answered. “You will certainly overtake them and succeed in the rescue.”(1 Samuel 30:8)


I need to draw near to God so I can understand His will for me - in all things.

My Prayer: Lord, I am amazed at how you have used me for your glory and also blessed me.  I know it is through You that these things happen - you are awesome and you are great!  Thank you for your wisdom.  Forgive me for my neglect of you and for my desire of things in the world.  Purify me of these things.  Help me draw near to you. love you, trust you, follow you and be bold in all of this.