Saturday, January 15, 2011

It is Only Through Authentic Humility That We Can Seek Forgiveness

Today's Reading
2 Samuel Chps 13-24

Of course I sin...I am disobedient to the core.  Yet even worse, I am arrogant.  I expect forgiveness...and I often don't even ask for it.   How am I truly to be set free and forgiven if I do not humble myself before the Lord and truly seek His forgiveness.  While David has his moments, he most of the time is humble man, truly remorseful of his sin.  Here towards the end of his reign and life, he seeks to make atonement for his wrongs against God:

“I have sinned greatly in what I have done. Now, LORD, I beg you, take away the guilt of your servant. I have done a very foolish thing.” (2 Samuel 24:10)

And as God carries out His wrath against Israel because of David's wrongs, David once againt prostrates himself:

“I have sinned; I, the shepherd,[c] have done wrong. These are but sheep. What have they done? Let your hand fall on me and my family.” (2 Samuel 24:17)

And again, David humbles himself to the point where he is not above anyone and he pays his fellow countryman Araunah to purchase (vs seizing it) a threshing floor to be used to build an altar.

So David bought the threshing floor and the oxen and paid fifty shekels of silver for them. 25 David built an altar to the LORD there and sacrificed burnt offerings and fellowship offerings. Then the LORD answered his prayer in behalf of the land, and the plague on Israel was stopped. (2 Samuel 24: 24-25)
 
My Prayer: Lord, you are love, compassion, and mercy.  You create these things as an expression of your love for me and I am in awe that you would create these things and express these just for me.  You are truly great and I love you.  Forgive me for my neglect of you Lord Christ as I have worshipped my job and my rest more than I have loved you.  Give me strength.  Give me trust.  Give me energy.  Help me seek you fervently all time the time.