Wednesday, January 5, 2011

David Exercises Restraint Knowing That He Will Be King in God's Time

Today's Reading
1 Samuel 31 to 2 Samuel 1

I know that God has His own measure of time and of course His own plan.  David respects this.  David knows that he is to be king of Israel upon Saul's death.  Yet he does not kill Saul even though he has ample opportunity, and even in Saul's death he does not rejoice.  Initially, he rebukes and then kills the soldier who struck the final blow resulting in Saul's death.  He then grieves the death of Jonathon and Saul.

14 David asked him, “Why weren’t you afraid to lift your hand to destroy the LORD’s anointed?” (2 Samuel 1:14)

...

23 Saul and Jonathan—
   in life they were loved and admired,
   and in death they were not parted.
They were swifter than eagles,
   they were stronger than lions.

 24 “Daughters of Israel,
   weep for Saul,
who clothed you in scarlet and finery,
   who adorned your garments with ornaments of gold. (2 Samuel 1:23-24)

My Prayer: Lord, you have given me greater patience and perspective regarding your timing and your will - you know me more so than I know myself and I thank you for your divine teachings and for your guidance and counsel - you are my rock, my shield, and my light.  Please help me lean on you, trust you, love, follow you, obey you and seek you out - more and more each day.