Monday, January 3, 2011

Love and Humility Not Rage, Jealousy, and Revenge

Today's Reading
1 Samuel Chps 23-24

Here I see David spare Saul's life, even though God delivers Saul into David's hands.  After cutting off a corner of Saul's robe, David feels great remorse and seeks forgiveness from God .

5 Afterward, David was conscience-stricken for having cut off a corner of his robe. 6 He said to his men, “The LORD forbid that I should do such a thing to my master, the LORD’s anointed, or lay my hand on him; for he is the anointed of the LORD.” (1 Samuel 24:5-6)

 I see this as a sign of humility for even though David knows he has been anointed by God to be King of Israel, he willingly submits to Saul.  At the same time, this is love for Saul is to kill him and this is is as clear an example as their will ever be in scripture to love everyone, including your enemies.

What comes to mind here is how quickly the mind can become poisoned by anger, and anger produces results that are God-driven.  I read this in James chapter 1:

19 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.

This is something very top of mind for me because I have my plan for my life, including my plan for my children and my family and when I don't see it go my way, I am sometimes enraged and this rage produces bad outcomes in my family and I can see the results.

My Prayer: Lord, you have blessed me with a beautiful loving family - thank you for this rich blessing indeed!  Forgive me for my neglect of you and help me draw closer to you.  Please help me be quick to listen, and slow to talk and of course very slow (or avoid!) to anger.