Thursday, January 6, 2011

Lead Through Humility

Today's Reading
2 Samuel Chp 3

It is counter-intuitive in our contemporary world but we must lead not via bravado but instead by showing a servant's heart; it is through humility that we can become more Christ-like as we shed ourselves and instead invite Christ into our heart.  Although it is an old testament example, David here exemplifies this humility as one of his men Joab kills a former commander of Saul's army.  David admonishes Joab and laments - demonstrating his love of the Lord and his commands.

 28 Later, when David heard about this, he said, “I and my kingdom are forever innocent before the LORD concerning the blood of Abner son of Ner.

...

31 Then David said to Joab and all the people with him, “Tear your clothes and put on sackcloth and walk in mourning in front of Abner.” King David himself walked behind the bier. 32 They buried Abner in Hebron, and the king wept aloud at Abner’s tomb. All the people wept also.
  
33 The king sang this lament for Abner:
   “Should Abner have died as the lawless die?
 
 34 Your hands were not bound,
   your feet were not fettered.
You fell as one falls before the wicked.”
   And all the people wept over him again. 

Paul speaks of humility in Colossians 3:12

12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 

My Prayer: Lord, you have blessed me with gifts to lead and I am in awe of how you have used me for your glory - it is entirely your doing as you are great and your plan and your works are great!  Thank you Lord for your blessings and your hand!  Forgive me for my own arrogance and need for control.  Help me love and trust you more, and obey you fully.  Purify me.  Help me submit to you humbly so that you can be in control and so that your hands can guide mine with your plan and your works.