Thursday, January 12, 2012

For in him we live and move and have our being

Acts 17

16 While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. 17 So he reasoned in the synagogue with both Jews and God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there.

...

22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23 For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you. 

As I read this I am struck by similarities with today's world - in that it is also filled with other Gods.  I am not immune to this as I often seek idols in my work, money, status, etc.  The question for me is whether I am able to not only put aside these idols and fully seek Christ AND whether I am as Paul does publicly proclaim the Good News and engage others to bring them to Christ?

28 ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’  As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’

My Prayer: Lord, I know that You created the heavens and earth and everything in between and I also know that You have blessed me beyond what I deserve.  I am not worthy of such love yet You love me just the same.  Please forgive me for seeking other idols whether they be money, stuff, status, etc.  Help me fully love You and fully give my life away to You.