Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up

1 Thessalonians 5

I know that one of the key areas where I can use refinement is coaching and encouragement.  I am a critical person - of myself and of others.  Paul's admonishment to the church in Thessalonica strikes me to the heart:

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up.

...

14 And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else.
  
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 

 The urging to be patient with everyone is certainly expressed throughout the Bible.  Yet it continues to be a lesson with which I struggle.

My Prayer: Christ Jesus, Lord of Lords, You are patient with me as you have blessed me even though I am not patient.  I know this is just one measure of Your great love for me.  You are a great and loving God and the only God for me.  Please forgive me for my impatience and my anger.  Purify me of these sins and transform my heart and my life so that I can be sanctified and be holy.  I want to be more like You so that I can more fully serve and glorify You.