Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters

Hebrews 13

Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. 2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. 3 Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.  (verses 1-3)

Verse 2 and 3 help clarify what is expected from us. Hospitality, compassion, and service are key hallmarks of love as defined by the author here and by Jesus.

What is key for me is take emphasis off myself...and only then can I begin to truly love both Jesus and ALL his children.

34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. (Mark 8:34)

My Prayer: Lord, YOU are love!  One need not go any further for the ultimate benchmark of love and even then YOUR love is without limits and beyond our imagination!  How great is Your love and especially that You love me given how broken and disobedient I am.  Please forgive me for my laziness and my lack of trust in You for all matters.  Purify me Lord and transform both my heart and my life - rid me of my sin and help me truly deny myself and fully devote myself to You.