Wednesday, January 25, 2012

However, I consider my life worth nothing to me...

Acts 20

22 “And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. 23 I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. 24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace. 

 This is very piercing scripture for me as it reveals my own selfishness.  Essentially, I consider my life MY own.  When my life is ONLY through the grace of God.  Moreover, I believe that Jesus is my savior and have pledged to follow Him.  And to follow Him is to deny oneself.


24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. (Matthew 16:24)
 
...

23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, I know that Your grace for me abounds - in my life already and forever more.  How great You are for Your love and grace, not only for me but for all of Your children.  I continue to be broken and selfish every day and for this I remain deeply in need of You and Your grace.  Please forgive me for my selfishness about my job and career desires.  Help me focus my eyes on You - solely on You.