Friday, January 6, 2012

Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority

Hebrews 13

17 Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you. 

The question for me is how this applies to our Christian leaders and our lay leaders.  Clearly this applies to our Christian leaders because they are appointed to watch over us as a shepherd watches over his sheep.  At the time, we ARE to submit to authority of our lay leaders - for example our workplace leaders and our elected civil leaders.  The only key difference being we should not submit if we ourselves are asked to openly sin.  Our first loyalty and authority to whom we should submit is Jesus Christ himself and his words which are explicitly provided in scripture.

While I often do find it challenging to submit to the authority of my Christian leaders, my greatest challenge lies with submission to lay leaders, particularly in the workplace.

I must not only obey verse 17 but also scripture that commands us to love and serve ALL:

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. (1 Peter 8-11)

My Prayer: Lord, Your example of love is the gold standard of which I must follow. Your love as demonstrated in the bible and for me personally is clear and for this I am grateful and humbled because I am broken and feel undeserving of such grace and love.  Forgive me for my lack of effort, love and trust as I have not fully given my life away to you.  Help me do this Lord.