Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Matthew 22

 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” v37-40

In the notes to scripture here, there is reference to both Deuteronomy 6:5 and Levitcus 19:18.  In Deuteronomy, scripture provides more details on this command should manifest itself in our lives:

These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:6-9

An additional indicator would be "fruits of the spirit":

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5:22-23

My Prayer: Lord, You are worthy of our love - creator of the heavens and earth and all inhabitants, all knowing and more powerful than death.  You are pure, holy, and blameless, and You are the vine of life.  And You died for me so that I could have forgiveness for my sins and eternity in heaven with You.  What rich blessings!  I am not worthy of such blessings.  I am full of anger, selfishness, and impatience.  Lord Jesus, I thank You that You have loved me anyway but I pray for Your forgiveness and I pray that You will help me turn from these sins.  Help me be the man You intend for me.