Wednesday, November 7, 2018

For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. These are what defile a person; but eating with unwashed hands does not defile them.

Matthew 15

For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. These are what defile a person; but eating with unwashed hands does not defile them. v19-20

Once again, the Pharisees question Jesus about breaking with Old Testament law regarding washing of hands before eating.  MacArthur indicates that such hand washing was an "extrabiblical law" that only existed in oral form.  Regardless of the extent to which such rituals were part of the law or not, Jesus goes right to the core in His response by challenging the Pharisees and their "external" faith based on deeds and Old Testament ceremonial law.  He focuses on what comes out of our mouth from our heart - as our heart condition is most important.

What can we do to cleanse and guard our heart?

Practical suggestions:
The Battle for Your Mind
Seven Ways to Pray for Your Heart

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an amazing God You are that You have transformed my heart and life to be more like You - I know You are still at work in my heart and life but I have experienced miracles in my life already - thank You Jesus!  Yet I am not worth such love and blessing.  I worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.