Friday, November 9, 2018

His disciples answered, “Where could we get enough bread in this remote place to feed such a crowd?”

Matthew 15 

His disciples answered, “Where could we get enough bread in this remote place to feed such a crowd?” v33 

Jesus feeding the five thousand (v29-39) is of course about yet another set of miracles Jesus performs and it’s also about the incredible compassion Jesus has as he heals everyone and never stops loving us – He thinks about US all the time (v32).  Yet it’s easy to overlook what I believe is one of the more important messages we should take away from this story – it’s also about ALL of the excuses we come up to NOT have compassion on others.  I can’t think of ANY excuses Jesus had when asked to serve others.  In fact, His stated purpose during His ministry was to SERVE: 

“Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, to give his life as a ransom for many.” Matthew 20:28 (see also Mark 10:45). 

We are to love others as God love us, so we need to STOP making excuses why we can’t serve others!

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who is always thinking about me and You never stop loving me – thank You Jesus.  All the while, I am constantly coming up with excuses about why I can’t serve or love others as You do.  Please forgive me Jesus for such sin and help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Please help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.