Sunday, May 5, 2019

Another of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, spoke up, “Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?”

John 6

Another of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, spoke up, “Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?” v8-9

In John 6, we have  Jesus feeding the five thousand, a story most believers know.  My focus is on Andrew, who is not as well known as most of the other disciples. Andrew is noted in John's account of this story but not in the other gospels' accounts.  

While Andrew is not well known (go here for more on Andrew), we see him pointing a young boy to Jesus - this young boy plays a prominent and up close role in one of Jesus' more well known miracles.  This was a divine appointment indeed and an encouragement for all of us that think we cannot do enough to make a God-sized impact.  The ironic aspect of such thinking is that THIS is the point of Jesus and Holy Spirit - that we NEED Jesus to overcome the world (John 16:33) and through Him we have the same power that raised Jesus from the dead (Ephesians 1:18-21).  Once we recognize this, we should worry less about what we do and instead focus on what He can and will do THROUGH us.  

Just as Andrew was, we are all ordinary human beings but special in the eyes of God and clay in the hands of the potter (God) who is able to sculpt miracles in, for, and through us. 

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who has done many, many amazing things in, for, and through me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such blessings and love.  I worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.