Friday, May 17, 2019

“What are we accomplishing?” they asked. “Here is this man performing many signs. If we let him go on like this, everyone will believe in him, and then the Romans will come and take away both our temple and our nation.”

John 11

“What are we accomplishing?” they asked. “Here is this man performing many signs. If we let him go on like this, everyone will believe in him, and then the Romans will come and take away both our temple and our nation.” v47-48

After Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead (v44), some of those who witnessed this miracle told the Pharisees, and then a meeting was called of the Sanhedrin (v47).  Their chief concern was their own status, position, and power.

We should not be concerned about losing our life - in both figurative and literal senses.  


"Whoever tries to keep their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life will preserve it." Luke 17:33
 
Instead we are to deny oneself

We are encouraged by Paul who writes about the "surpassing worth of knowing Jesus".

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who gives me both eternal life and an abundant life here on earth - thank You Jesus!  I am undeserving of such gifts.  I worry and I gossip.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin to encourage, support and hold them accountable in their walk with Christ.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.