Thursday, May 2, 2019

Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.”

John 5

Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.” v14

Clearly, Jesus' healing of the man at the pool is yet another remarkable example of Jesus' compassion and love for all - and of course a miracle.  The most striking thing about this story is Jesus' reaction to the man when He sees the man later at the temple after healing him.  Jesus warns the man to stop sinning.

We must avoid sin - including sins of omission and commission (more on this distinction here).

MacArthur writes that Jesus' warns us not just about the "inevitable [eternal] consequences of sin" (Galatians 6:7-8) but that we also face consequences during our earthly life. "Although not all disease is a consequence of sin (John 9:1-3, Luke 13:1-5), illness at times may be directly tied into one's moral condition (1 Corinthians 11:29, James 5:15)."  

Before we read too much into whether our own current predicaments are the result of sin or not, we must above all know that God loves each of us and He desires a relationship with us.  Sometimes God brings us to a place where we have nowhere else to go but to Him before we surrender our lives to Him.  

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God and I have seen You with me in all times - including during times of great difficulty.  Thank You for always loving me and for always being with me.  I am undeserving of such a God.  I worry, and I have other sin.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, apply, and be obedient to Your message today and every day.