Monday, May 27, 2019

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.


John 15

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. v7

I continue to ask in prayer that God turn me into a prayer warrior, particularly because of my role as a father and husband, but also because of my love for Christ and others and a desire to serve.  I have been asking God to help me pray for more needs, more of the time.

This morning, through Jesus' words in John and via John Piper my thoughts on prayer are somewhat redirected - not so much away from my and others' needs - but focus more on spiritual/eternal needs vs physical and earthly needs.

V7 and similar words in v16 challenged me this morning to better understand what Jesus means by telling us that essentially we will get everything we ask for in prayer.  I already knew this was not true in an earthly sense - God is not a vending machine.  Jesus places several very important conditions on when we can expect Him to delivery what we ask for, and we must understand these conditions.

John Piper helps us understand these conditions and other important aspects of prayer.

1. Prayer is fruit bearing: "If you are not devoted to fruit-bearing, you have no warrant for expecting answers to prayer. Prayer is designed for fruit-bearing."
2. Prayer is not for gratifying natural desires: "[natural desires] should always be subordinate to spiritual desires; kingdom desires; fruit-bearing desires; gospel-spreading, God-centered desires; Christ-exalting, God-glorifying desires."
3. The words of Jesus abiding in us prepare us for fruit-bearing prayer.
4. The more we are saturated by the words of Jesus, the more our prayers will be answered. 

Piper encourages us to take heed in Psalm 37:4.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who loves me and who has grown in my heart and life - giving my a life of peace and joy - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  I worry and I have much more sin - please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.