Tuesday, June 25, 2019

But after the disciples had gathered around him, he got up and went back into the city.

Acts 14

But after the disciples had gathered around him, he got up and went back into the city. v20

As the folks at DesiringGod.com put it, "[Paul] abandoned the haunted hayride of human approval to walk Calvary’s underground road to freedom from the fear of man".  In Acts 14, we see Paul traveling during his first missionary journey.  He rejects being glorfied as a god (v14-17) and is later stoned - yet Paul is so filled with the Holy Spirit that he returns into the city where he was stoned!  

The takeaway and guidance from DesiringGod.com with regards to Paul's response is spot on: 

"Beware of acceptance, and beware of rejection. Beware of followers, and beware of enemies. Beware of praise, and beware of criticism. Above all, be content in what God says about you because you are in Christ.

Find your identity and confidence in him, not in what people think about you or in your status here in this life. It will free us to tell the world the beautiful and offensive message it desperately needs to hear."

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is always with me - thank You Jesus!  I know You love me and accept me - knowing everything about me - so that I need not concern myself about what others think about me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  I worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.