Tuesday, June 18, 2019

The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it".

Acts 8

The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it". v29

I have recently experienced a leading of the Holy Spirit to be more open towards divine appointments and the power of 2 seconds (a few kind words or a smile), 20 minutes (a brief conversation), 2 months (short-term friendship), or 20+ years (long term friendship) when such time is directed by Jesus Christ.

In Acts 8:26-40, we have such a divine appointment as "an angel of the Lord" told Phillip to go south from Jerusalem to Gaza and on the way, Phillip met an Ethiopian eunuch and Phillip was led by the Spirit to stay with the Ethiopian.  Ultimately, Phillip helped this man better understand scripture and he also shared the Good News of Jesus Christ with this man and baptized him. A supernatural and divine appointment indeed.

John Piper has an excellent post on this topic and how leading by the Spirit does not replace but complements authority of scripture in terms of directing our thoughts and actions.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God and I have seen how You have placed people in my life to direct me towards You and I know You want to use me for Your glory to both bring people to You and to perform other acts in service of Your glory.  I am both humbled and grateful that You would use me in such ways - thank You Jesus for allowing me to be of such use to You.  I am blessed beyond what I deserve.  My sin continues - often too much for me.  Please forgive me Jesus.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.