Thursday, July 1, 2021

And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.

Romans 8

And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. Romans 8:23

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I continued with chapter eleven Future Glory, Present Help, which covers Romans 8:18-30.  My focus today is Romans 8:18-25, which my commentary refers to under the heading Hope for Waiting Saints. Building on my post yesterday, where Paul refers to believers' inheritance "provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him" (8:17), Paul starts off writing how "sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us."  Our future glorification, referenced by Paul, is something where believers should place their hope and we should recognize that all of creation will be made new, not just us - think about New Jerusalem as described in Revelation 21

My commentary writes that we should in the context of today's verses we should also consider 2 Corinthians 4:17-18:

For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

Seeing the "forest for the trees" in this way we are promised a fresh and hopeful perspective on our present day sufferings. We are encouraged to "[p]ush through the pain in order to experience the joy of glorious life to come." We must also see the "already, not yet" dimension of adoption (see post yesterday), where we have joy in union with Christ now in our present bodies, we will have much more so at glorification....so press on with hope!

Comment and discuss this post here

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, I know You have saved a place for me in Heaven - thank You! I also know that Heaven will be a glorious place where I will find myself once again with other saints who have long past and gone Home to be with You. What a day it will be to see You face to face!  I am not deserving of such blessings and salvation.  I have sinned greatly and continue to - worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to Your Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.