Saturday, July 17, 2021

For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all.

Romans 11

For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all. Romans 11:32

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I started chapter fifteen From Theology to Doxology, which covers Romans 11.  My focus today is a second look at Romans 11:11-32, with a review of the commentary text under the heading God Will Continue Working Out His Saving Purposes in the Future. The commentary starts with describing how Paul moves from v11:1 where he asks if Israel's "rejection was total" and where in v11:11-32 he examines whether Israel's rejection was "final."  Paul argues that their rejection is not total nor is it final.  We are to see how Paul uses "positive jealousy" in v11:14; he uses a reference from Deuteronomy 32:21 to describe "not a sinful jealousy" or "as a curse" (as it was intended in Deuteronomy), "but here it becomes a means of drawing Israel back to God.  Gospel jealousy can provoke an 'I want in on the riches of Christ!' mentality."  Paul also wants the Gentiles to see how inclusion of the Jews will bring greater gain to Gentile believers - expansion of the kingdom!  My commentary longs on the point of gospel jealousy and urges us to live our faith in such a way to spur such positive jealousy in others - it uses as an example how Paul and Silas singing in the jail (and subsequent earthquake) spurred their jailer to ask "[s]irs, what must I do to be saved?" (Acts 16:30). In v11:17-24, the commentary describes Paul's use of the olive tree and how the natural branches (ethnic Israel) were initially cut off due to unbelief then the "wild" branches (Gentiles) were grafted into the root (Jesus).  We are encouraged to see Paul's stern warning to the Gentiles to remain humble and not be smug towards unbelieving Jews - instead they should be heart-broken and fear God since their own faith was not due to anything they did but due to God's grace.  Just as Israel many times throughout its history suffered punishment from God, so too can the Gentiles should it stray from God - persevering faith.  Paul then moves to v11:24-32 where he expresses hope for the Jews that they be grafted back in to the root - the commentary expresses great mystery around how and when this grafting back in will occur.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father - You are indeed a God full of grace and mercy and I too can be counted among Jews grafted back into the Root so enjoy the nutrients of the Tree of Life - Jesus Christ!  Thank You Jesus for saving me.  I am not deserving of such mercy and grace - my sin of worry, anger, etc. continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.