Friday, July 30, 2021

In Christ Jesus, then, I have reason to be proud of my work for God. For I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me to bring the Gentiles to obedience[.]

Romans 15

In Christ Jesus, then, I have reason to be proud of my work for God. For I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me to bring the Gentiles to obedience[.] Romans 15:17-18a

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I continued with chapter nineteen Great Commission Christians, which covers Romans 15:14-15:33.  My focus today is v15:16-18, which my commentary refers to under the heading "See Life and Mission Through the Lens of Worship."  Building on my post yesterday, where Paul's focused on characteristics of a healthy gospel-centered church, in this morning's verses, Paul moves to describe his role in preaching the gospel to the Gentiles and how Paul attributes the growth of the church through the Gentiles to God working through him.

My commentary highlights how Paul's words describe a "priestly service" (v15:16) to the Gentiles. He was a Jesus "worshiper who sought to make more worshipers.  He was a living sacrifice who sought to see more living sacrifices."  We are encourages to "see our mission through this lens of worship." 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who has brought disciple makes into my life to develop me into more of a disciple - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of this and the many other blessings You pour out for me.  My sin of worry and other sins continue.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength. Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.