Friday, July 9, 2021

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

Romans 9

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23

This afternoon, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I started chapter thirteen God's Word Has Not Failed, which covers Romans 9:1-29.  My focus today is Romans 9:14-18, which my commentary refers to under the heading Truth 2: God's Ways Are Just and His Salvation Is Merciful.  Yesterday, I discussed in v6-13 how God's word does not fail and how Paul's anguish over unbelieving Jews should be considered as part of God's perfect design and plan. In v14, we see Paul look at injustice and of course because we all sin and are deserving of death (Romans 3:23, 6:23), Paul correctly answers that there is no injustice.   In v15-16, Paul quotes Exodus and explains further by indicating that it is up to God how He is to be compassionate and His ways are perfect. When someone does not receive compassion, it is not that God does not have compassion it is that God has another plan and again a plan that is perfect.  With v17, Paul once again uses Exodus and the example of how God hardened Pharaoh's heart so that God's name "be proclaimed in all the earth." Just as God's Word does not fail, God is just.

My commentary goes further, quoting John Stott: "[t]he wonder is not that some are saved and others not, but that anybody is saved at all.  For we deserve nothing at God's hand but judgement.  If we receive what we deserve (which is judgement), or if we receive what we do not deserve (which is mercy), in neither case is God unjust. We are encouraged to see "election" as a mystery and where we see election we should see mercy. Indeed, God is merciful.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are merciful indeed and I experience Your mercies as new every day - thank You Jesus for the mercy and compassion You have poured out for me.  I am not deserving...by a long shot....I have gossip, anger, worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.