Saturday, July 10, 2021

What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory[.]

Romans 9

What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory[.] Romans 9:22-23

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I started chapter thirteen God's Word Has Not Failed, which covers Romans 9:1-29.  My focus today is Romans 9:19-23, which my commentary refers to under the heading Truth 3: God Has the Right of a Potter over His Clay.  In these verses, Paul continues to make the case for the gospel.  He poses several rhetorical questions, including how can we resist God and what standing do we have to question God? He responds by using a reference to Old Testament imagery as found in Jeremiah 18 (see also Isaiah 29, 45) and elsewhere.  God, as the Potter can do as he chooses with us, just as He does with His clay - we are clay in His hands...and we are to remember most importantly v23 in that we exist for God's glory and not for our own.

My commentary describes how Paul skirts the question of human responsibility and instead focuses on the questioner's pride, which Paul knows is a key obstacle to faith. It goes on to state that while we are not "mere lumps of clay, but the analogy is fitting: [God] is free, and he has the right to do with the clay as he pleases.  We are encouraged to see how scripture is clear on this by looking at Psalm 115:3, and at Job 42:1-6, where after God's rebuke, Job submits to God and has a more clear view of who God is and how God reigns. Finally in v22-23, we are reminded to see how God is merciful and He has "endured with much patience" our sin and disobedience and we are to see how God does this so that we can make much of God and glorify Him with our lives as a response.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of patience and mercy for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings and how You pour these out for me daily.  My sin of anger, harsh words, etc. continue.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to and apply Your message for me today and every day.