Thursday, July 8, 2021

But it is not as though the word of God has failed.

Romans 9

But it is not as though the word of God has failed. Romans 9:6

This afternoon, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I started chapter thirteen God's Word Has Not Failed, which covers Romans 9:1-29.  My focus today is Romans 9:6-13, which my commentary refers to under the heading Truth 1: God is Working Out His Sovereign Purposes in History. As I posted yesterday, Paul expressed anguish over the unbelief of his fellow Jews, particularly in light of how Jesus is the Messiah so promised to the Jews in the Old Testament. Paul now pivots to write how it is not God's word has failed (v6) - in fact, "no word from God will ever fail" (see Luke 1:37 NIV). Paul goes on to write how "not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel" (v6), how children of the flesh are not children of God (v8), and how Esau "I hated" (v13) despite his birth to Issac and Rebekah. Many will seek to find contradictions in scripture but they won't find them. See also Psalm 18:30 where David writes how God's way is perfect and "the word of the Lord proves true"; these same words are echoed in 2 Samuel 22:31 where David's word in song are captured as well. 

My commentary emphasizes how "God never promised that every Israelite would be saved....God has always chosen some within the nation of Israel to be his true people (a remnant)."  God both hardens and softens hearts by His design and will and He even chose to "include Gentiles in this believing company."  The commentary points out Paul's use of Genesis 12, 15, 17, and 21, and how Paul loosely quotes Genesis 18:10, 14 to show that "[t]here is an Israel within Israel" and how Sarah's miraculous birth of Isaac demonstrates to us that "[s]alvation is not by birth or works but by grace." If salvation is extended by birth than Esau would have been grafted in but he was not - again it is by grace that we are saved.  Similarly for Jacob, a deceiver, one could expect that Jacob not be part of God's family given his actions; but again God saves and Jacob is part of God's family through grace.  The commentary goes on to say that neither Esau nor Jacob deserved salvation (none of us do!) but grace saved Jacob as one of the elect. It should be noted that the commentary references how Esau's rejection is also discussed in Malachi 1:2-3.  Bottom line, yes, Paul is full of anguish due to unbelief among the Jews, but this is not due to failure of God's word. My commentary ends by stating that God's word "was and is being fulfilled in an Israel within Israel.  In sovereign freedom, God has always chosen a people for himself.  And he continues to work out his sovereign purposes in history."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and whose Word is true and perfect!  Thank You Jesus for the gift of scripture - it is You and I cannot live without You.  Yet I am undeserving of how You provide Your Word, the Holy Spirit, and my salvation.  My sin continues...daily; worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.