Tuesday, October 8, 2024

And on the day of the LORD’s sacrifice—“I will punish the officials and the king’s sons and all who array themselves in foreign attire.

Zephaniah 1:8-11

And on the day of the LORD’s sacrifice—“I will punish the officials and the king’s sons and all who array themselves in foreign attire. Zephaniah 1:8

I continue my study of Zephaniah using the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary volume for this book.  For today, my study focus is a commentary-assisted review of the third division per my commentary: 1:8-11. Excerpts from the commentary:

  • In vv8-11, God outlines his anger at not just the current king but the long line of kings in Judah who sinned in the eyes of the Lord.  This includes the sins as outlined in vv4-6 such as idolatry and turning away from God.  In v9 the text describes those who "leap over the threshold" committing "violence and fraud" in God's house.
  • "Verses 10 and 11, however, continue to see the spiral move downward and expand to include all the residents of the city. A resident of Judah might well have expected to see God’s judgment and anger extended to their enemies, but to see it extended to those who were the children of God would have been shocking and difficult to reconcile."
  • "[T]hose who were part of Judah were learning that there is a high accountability for those who claim the name of God and do not reflect Him in their lives. The prophet wants them to be aware that to embrace God’s name and reject God’s character is to defame the name of God. To claim to follow Him and then misrepresent Him in behavior was a travesty that must be rectified."
  • We are warned not to break the third commandment (see Exodus 20:7) where we are not to misuse the name of God.  This is seen as promoting false gospel.  Instead we are urged to find out fulfillment first and foremost in God so that we don't pursue other gods and misuse God for our own will and purpose.
  • Zephaniah urges not just the king's court to repent and seek God, but all of Jerusalem, and by extension any reader of this text.  The sin on display in the text is on display throughout redemptive history, including today, where we live in a broken and sinful world.     

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, You are so full of grace and compassion as You came to save me and love while still hostile and an enemy of You.  Thank You for making me one of Your elect.  I am not deserving of my salvation nor the mercies You pour out every day for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.