Wednesday, October 9, 2024

At that time I will search Jerusalem with lamps, and I will punish the men who are complacent, those who say in their hearts,‘The LORD will not do good, nor will he do ill.’

Zephaniah 1:12-13

At that time I will search Jerusalem with lamps, and I will punish the men who are complacent, those who say in their hearts,‘The LORD will not do good, nor will he do ill.’ Zephaniah 1:12

I continue my study of Zephaniah using the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary volume for this book.  For today, my study focus is an unassisted review of the fourth division per my commentary: vv12-13. Here, Zephaniah delivers a stern warning to those who are complacent.  First, assuming you are using the ESV translation in v12 which refers to those who are "complacent - it is important to understand the meaning of the word which is defined as "marked by self-satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers or deficiencies."  This definition applies to those who in previous verses vv1-11 were consumed and satisfied by other gods of their own choosing and not the One True God - Yahweh.  Vv1-11 also describe Judah as being guilty of being aware of sin - idolatry, etc. - in their midst but not doing anything about this danger.  It starts with a fascination perhaps of sin and then perhaps a level of comfort which then evolves into an all consuming desire of sin.  John wrote about this danger in 1 John 2:15-17 when he wrote:   

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.

Romans 3:20 shares how scripture and knowledge of the law reveals sin - so we must understand God and His will for us, including His commandments.  We are then able to discern sin and Romans 12:2 further describes how a daily study of God's Word renews our mind, helping us not only understand sin but also God's will for our lives. Refer to these texts.

I go back to Zephaniah 1:6 where God seeks for us to follow and inquire of Him.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion.  Thank You for giving me Your Word and the Holy Spirit so that I can be in relationship with You and You can grow in my heart and I can get to know You more and become more like You.  I am not deserving of my salvation, nor such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues..daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.