Wednesday, October 16, 2024

For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.

1 John 5:1-4

For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. 1 John 5:2-4

I continue my preparation for leading Sunday school at my church on 20OCT, where our class will be looking at 1 John 5:1-4.  For this morning, I lean on DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book video for this text.  Excerpts from the video:

  • Faith: being born again is what produces faith; our spiritually dead hearts are made alive by Christ and we can begin to see Him in His glory for who He is; we are then drawn to believe; we are warned not to believe in this as a fact because even Satan believes Jesus is the Christ - instead our belief is driven not by logic but a change in spiritual condition.
  • Faith: believing in Jesus (new birth) results in love for the Father
  • Love for Father results in love for God's children (other believers)
  • Love of Father and His children also results in obedience to Him
  • Love of God results not just in obedience but in an obedience that is NOT burdensome and Piper explains that this is breakthrough relative to the OT and ceremonial law given how this law was burdensome - instead the law as given by Jesus is joyful
  • Our love of God and His children overcome the world including sin, death, everything that makes the commandments of God burdensome (see also 1 John 2:15-17) > we treasure God so much that the world is exposed as unsatisfying
  • Piper lays out the sequence as described in the text: new birth > faith > love of God > overcoming the world > we keep His commandments joyfully > this is what John calls loving believers.

Lord Jesus, help me see the world as unsatisfying and not love anything in it above You.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - despite my sin.  Thank You Jesus for Your amazing grace!  I am not deserving of my salvation, nor any of the mercies and blessings You pour out for me every single day.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.