Sunday, October 13, 2024

In the fire of his jealousy, all the earth shall be consumed; for a full and sudden end he will make of all the inhabitants of the earth.

Zephaniah 1:18

In the fire of his jealousy, all the earth shall be consumed; for a full and sudden end he will make of all the inhabitants of the earth. Zephaniah 1:18b

I continue my study of Zephaniah using the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary volume for this book.  For today, my study focus is an unassisted review of the seventh division per my commentary: v18.  In v18a, the Lord shares how material wealth not save anyone from the wrath of the Lord - we are therefore warned not to grow too comfortable with anything in this world to the point where it becomes an idol.  Those in Judah did grow too comfortable with not just wealth, but with the foreign gods of their neighbors and they allowed this comfort to grow into idol worship and as previously posted turned away from God and did not inquire of Him (v6).  

John gives us a similar warning in 1 John 2:15-17:

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.

This is why our number one commandment is to love God first and with all of your heart, soul, and mind (Exodus 20, Matthew 22:37-40).

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who is enough for all that we need - for all of our physical, emotional, and spiritual needs.  You are my all in all.  Thank You Jesus for how You provide, including my salvation - of which I am undeserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.