Saturday, October 12, 2024

I will bring distress on mankind, so that they shall walk like the blind, because they have sinned against the LORD; their blood shall be poured out like dust, and their flesh like dung.

Zephaniah 1:14-17

I will bring distress on mankind, so that they shall walk like the blind, because they have sinned against the LORD; their blood shall be poured out like dust, and their flesh like dung. Zephaniah 1:17

I continue my study of Zephaniah using the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary volume for this book.  For today, my study focus is an commentary-assisted review of the fifth division per my commentary: vv14-17. Excerpts from the commentary:

  • "In a series of declarations that are among the most discouraging and accusatory in all of Scripture, God’s condemnation of His people gets more ominous."
  • "God is crushing His people because He desires them to repent and return to Him. He understands that they love other things more than they love Him, so He systematically begins to eliminate the things that they love, and even their own lives, in an attempt to capture their attention and to see their affections pointed in His direction. His wrath, then, is an act of love, intended to accomplish the best for His children."
  • The commentary quotes John Piper's book Desiring God: "The wisdom of God has ordained a way for the love of God to deliver us from the wrath of God without compromising the justice of God."
  • The commentary then shares three attributes or characteristics of God's justice displayed in the text: (a) imminence: God's words are intended to provoke an immediate response of repentance, (b) intensity: God's coming judgement will be beyond what one can imagine - harsh and terrifying, (c) iniquity: God's judgement is in response to sin.  "While [Judah's] sin has kept them from God and brought them face-to-face with God’s judgment, some, if not all, of this could be averted if they would simply repent and obey." 

Earlier in the commentary, a portrait of parenting is used and this is apt - there are times when God needs to immediately get our attention as a means for us to understand who is in charge (He is!) and what He expects - our obedience.  The good news is that God is a loving God and He provides beyond anyone's wild imagination and He saves!  Turn from your sin and believe in Jesus!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus - You are the Way, the Truth, and the Life and the life You provide is to the full now and for eternity in Heaven with You and all the saints - amazing.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.