Monday, May 10, 2010

Giving God the Glory

Today's Reading
Genesis 41


Here we find that Joseph has an opportunity to interpret the dreams of Pharaoah, and he does so only after giving the glory to God by indicating that it is not through his own powers but through those of God.

Pharaoh said to Joseph, I had a dream, and no one can interpret it. But I have heard it said of you that when you hear a dream you can interpret it. I cannot do it, Joseph replied to Pharaoh, "but God will give Pharaoh the answer he desires. (Gen 41:15-16)

He does so again here:

Then Joseph said to Pharaoh, the dreams of Pharaoh are one and the same. God has revealed to Pharaoh what he is about to do. (Gen 41:25)

And again here:

It is just as I said to Pharaoh: God has shown Pharaoh what he is about to do. Seven years of great abundance are coming throughout the land of Egypt, but seven years of famine will follow them. Then all the abundance in Egypt will be forgotten, and the famine will ravage the land. 31 The abundance in the land will not be remembered, because the famine that follows it will be so severe. The reason the dream was given to Pharaoh in two forms is that the matter has been firmly decided by God, and God will do it soon. (Gen 41: 28-32)

It then became abundantly clear to Pharaoah, that Joseph was a man after God's heart.

Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, "Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you. You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you. (Gen 41:39-40)

God then blessed Joseph through Pharaoah by putting Joseph in charge of all of Egypt.

My Prayer: Lord, help me be a man after your heart as Joseph was. Help me recognize on a daily basis how your never-ending love, provision, care, and protection work in my life and the life of my family. I am blessed and it is not through me but it is through you. Help me give all the glory to you and have it be clear to others that I am a man after your heart and that you are my strength. How great you are...