Thursday, May 20, 2010

Joseph Remains Humble

Today's Reading
Genesis Chps 49 to 50

Jacob (or Israel as he is now known) is near death and he blesses his children as they and their descendants become the twelve tribes of Israel. Upon Jacob's death, he is buried in the same place where his father and his father's father are buried. Per Jacob's instructions, Joseph attends to the details of his father's burial.

Upon Joseph's return to Egypt and Goshen, where his brother's remained, Joseph is met by his brothers who are fearful of revenge by Joseph now that their father has died - they actually attempt deception by sending word of Jacob's desire to have Joseph forgive his brothers. When Joseph returns, the brothers throw themselves at Joseph's feet seeking mercy. No need for any deception here as Joseph is humble:

His brothers then came and threw themselves down before him. We are your slaves, they said.

But Joseph said to them, Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children. And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them. (Gen 50:18-21)

Clearly Joseph has an opportunity to be vengeful and to take advantage of his now lofty position, yet he his humble.

My Prayer: Lord, help me remain humble - in all circumstances. Help me avoid abusing any power or position or resources you place in my trust. Above all, let me be the servant of your will.