Friday, May 7, 2010

God Responds...On His Time

Today's Reading
Genesis 40


Joseph continues to be a faithful servant of God as in this chapter he interprets dreams for the Pharaoh's cupbearer and baker, both of whom were thrown into prison. He correctly intreprets the dreams of the two men and I am left with how God gives Joseph this gift and uses it for his glory. Yet Joseph still desires to be released from prison (I would too!):

But when all goes well with you, remember me and show me kindness; mention me to Pharaoh and get me out of this prison. For I was forcibly carried off from the land of the Hebrews, and even here I have done nothing to deserve being put in a dungeon. (Gen 40:14-15)

Despite Joseph's desires and request, the cupbearer does not mention Joseph to the Pharaoh and he remains in prison:

The chief cupbearer, however, did not remember Joseph; he forgot him. (Gen 4:23)

This is of course how it goes with God, we pray and it is up to God when and how he responds. We must listen closely for what God's response is because we will often miss it! For example, we often say if we don't get what we prayed for then God did not respond. This is not so - God responds and says "be patient", or "not now", or "no" or somewhere in between. We need to listen carefully for God's response and be able to submit to His will.

My Prayer: Lord, help me listen. I am often talking and asking, and many times demanding and too often I am not listening...so help me listen and forgive me when I am not! Help me also understand your response and your words for me and help me submit to your will. I know that you have great plans for me!