Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Joseph: Proud, Vengeful, and Manipulative - But Not in Control

Today's Reading
Genesis Chps 42-45

We know that Joseph sometimes acted "holier than thou" (he told on his brothers in Gen 37:2) and his own father had to be mindful of this (Gen 37: 10-11). Here we see that Joseph is vengeful in that he has an opportunity to immediately forgive his brothers and to reunite with them and in particular his father, yet he manipulates the situation to bring about fear and ultimately shame from his brothers.

Joseph's "control" and manipulation of the situation eventually came to a head:

Then Joseph could no longer control himself before all his attendants, and he cried out, Have everyone leave my presence! So there was no one with Joseph when he made himself known to his brothers. And he wept so loudly that the Egyptians heard him, and Pharaoh's household heard about it. (Gen 45:1)

Here we are reminded that despite all of our best efforts we cannot control everything, and ultimately we must cede control to God. Joseph is reminded of this:

So then, it was not you who sent me here, but God. He made me father to Pharaoh, lord of his entire household and ruler of all Egypt. Now hurry back to my father and say to him, 'This is what your son Joseph says: God has made me lord of all Egypt. (Gen 45:8-9)

Too often I find myself trying to control situations and taking credit for things big and small that should be attributed to God.

My Prayer: Lord, forgive me and my tendency to control situations as I know that ultimately you are in control. Help me give up control to you in all areas of my life.