Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Don't Stop Seeking Him...and Recognize It When He Speaks to You

Job Chp 23 

What is striking here is that Job's struggle is one of engagement.  He does not run from God.  He is crying out in pain to God and to anyone else who can hear that he feels forsaken.  Certainly God will take us any way He can get us...that last thing He wants is for His children to neglect Him and to run from Him. 

Job continues to seek Him:

3 If only I knew where to find him;
   if only I could go to his dwelling!
4 I would state my case before him
   and fill my mouth with arguments.
5 I would find out what he would answer me,
   and consider what he would say to me.
6 Would he vigorously oppose me?
   No, he would not press charges against me.
7 There the upright can establish their innocence before him,
   and there I would be delivered forever from my judge. 

Despite his desire to seek God, Job claims he cannot find Him:

8 “But if I go to the east, he is not there;
   if I go to the west, I do not find him.
9 When he is at work in the north, I do not see him;
   when he turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of him. 

Even though Job claims not to find God as he seeks Him, he acknowledges the greatness of God.  And he is not deterred...he will continue to seek Him out.

13 “But he stands alone, and who can oppose him?
   He does whatever he pleases.
14 He carries out his decree against me,
   and many such plans he still has in store.
15 That is why I am terrified before him;
   when I think of all this, I fear him.
16 God has made my heart faint;
   the Almighty has terrified me.
17 Yet I am not silenced by the darkness,
   by the thick darkness that covers my face. 

My Prayer: Lord, I know You are great and Your ways are great.  You have blessed me beyond what I deserve and yet I am lazy and wicked....I act in ways to others at home and at work that are not pleasing to you and certainly not in ways that glorify you.  Please forgive me Lord - please forgive me!  Help purify me of my wicked behavior, my laziness and my harshness to others.  Help me be to others what You have been and are to me.  Help me never stop seeking You out and help me proclaim Your greatness so that others know who You are - God of all!  Help me also listen closely to know where You are what You are saying to me so that when You do talk to me I can hear Your voice and Your message for me.