Saturday, August 27, 2011

You Must In Your Heart of Hearts Acknowledge and Accept God's Greatness and Sovereignty

Job Chp 42

Through his trials, you can see questioning of Job's faith.   After surrounding himself with the words of his friends Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar, Elihu - a much younger man and one who is not expected to have the wisdom of the three friends, speaks truth to Job and lays the groundwork for a softening of Job's heart.



“I am young in years,
   and you are old;
that is why I was fearful,
   not daring to tell you what I know.
7 I thought, ‘Age should speak;
   advanced years should teach wisdom.’
8 But it is the spirit in a person,
   the breath of the Almighty, that gives them understanding.
9 It is not only the old who are wise,
   not only the aged who understand what is right. (Job Chp 32)

Elihu reinforces that we should be prepared to allow anyone t o speak truth to us as truth can come from any source.

Once Elihu is done speaking, the Lord speaks directly to Job and confronts Job for his righteousness.

“Who is this that obscures my plans
   with words without knowledge? 

Once the Lord confronts him, Job acknowledges that his faith weakened and he repents.  He also acknowledges how faith is a matter of in your "heart of hearts" you must truly acknowledge and accept God's greatness and sovereignty.

My Prayer: Lord, I acknowledge both Your greatness and your sovereignty.  Forgive me for my questioning of this and for my weakness.  Please help me strengthen my faith and purify me of earthly distractions and also of my own righteousness.  Help me in my "heart of hearts" truly acknowledge and accept your greatness and sovereignty and love and serve you with all of my heart.