Thursday, December 4, 2014

'Do not speak evil about the ruler of your people.’

Acts 23

'Do not speak evil about the ruler of your people.’ v5

I am often guilty of speaking harshly of those I disagree with - particularly politics.  This is wrong and sinful.  Words should be used to build people up not tear people down.

With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.  James 3:9-13

We are also commanded not to gossip or provide "false witness" (Exodus 20).

My Prayer: Lord You are a great God and You are full of power and certainly in a position to be critical of others but You are Just and You use words for Your glory and our good.  Your motives are pure and perfect.  What a great God You are.  I am not deserving of such a God.  I am selfish, harsh with my thoughts, words, and actions.  Thank You that You love me anyway but please forgive me and help me turn from such sin.  Help me turn towards You.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Help me understand, apply, and be obedient to Your message today and every day.