Monday, November 16, 2015

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant being made in human likeness.

Relating to the Rascals
Philippians 2

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant being made in human likeness. v5-7

I sometimes puff myself up by thinking of others (good or bad) in relation to myself - sinful! As the scripture above from Philippians indicates, Jesus did not seek advantage or glory for himself; instead he sought out those whom He knew needed the love and compassion of Jesus...and He served those who needed it. 

We not only need to serve, we need to seek out those who share the most powerful bond of all - love of Jesus Christ.  This is what drew the early believers in Acts together:

They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.  Acts 2:42-47

We not only pray, encourage and support one another but we also "sharpen" each other and help each other grow in Christ:

As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You sought me out...knowing how broken I am...You suffered and died for me, then rose from the grave, defeating both sin and death, giving me the gift of forgiveness for my sins and eternity in Heaven with You.  What a great God and thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such a gift.  I am full of pride and I know this is sinful.  Please forgive me Jesus.  Help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Help me overcome my stress and anxiety - all while forgiving me for my worry.  Please heal and cure Lisa of her cancer and help her fully and quickly recover from the side effects of chemo and radiation.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.