Wednesday, November 11, 2015

[J]ust as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.

Imitation
Matthew 20

Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” v25-28.

Today's devotional focuses on Christ's call for humility and to serve.  From the devotional:

In a man’s world, authority and service often have an inverse relationship. The more authority, position, and power one possess the more that man is served. These guys get new titles and assistants, new offices and parking spots, and heaps of flattery and accommodation. In some cultures men don’t even need power or position to earn servitude.

Jesus breaks the rules to serve in person. Watch Him in the gospels, He encourages, He makes breakfast, He hugs kids, He touches, he heals, He shows up.

For me there are two messages here...I need to demonstrate and model Jesus for my sons and for all that know I am a believer.  As part of modeling Jesus, I must die to self (deny myself), serve others, pick up my cross and follow Jesus.

Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God that is not only worthy of my praise, but also my full attention and devotion.  I must learn Your ways, commit them to my heart and be more like You...for my own good, for the good of my family and for the glory of You so that I can draw attention and bring others to You.  I love You Jesus. You have blessed me beyond what I deserve.  I am often thinking of myself, worrying, etc.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Help me treasure my wife!  Help me be humble and serve others, including Lisa, Zach and Dustin.  Help me lead effectively with You as my model.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.