Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

2 Peter 1

Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. v20-21

I am well aware of the pitfalls of arrogance as I have experienced them many times and continue to fall prey to this dangerous sin.  I have posted about confidence in Christ vs self and how their is a fine line between humility and hubris.

Peter warns us of arrogance in an indirect manner here by reminding us our understanding of scripture is something we can rely on because it came from God himself and the Word is not from prophets. We must also understand that our own understanding is made possible through faith and through the Holy Spirit.

Bottom line, we must thank God for how He provides these things and the blessings in our lives - it is through His power that we exist and experience the blessings we have, including both faith, scripture and our own understanding of scripture.


Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. Romans 12:3
 
"Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23, Matthew 16:24
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God full of love and grace for me...and You provide Your Word, the Holy Spirit, and You provide me with faith.  I am grateful for all of these and I know You are so much more and do so much more as my words are insufficient for how great You truly are.  Thank You for blessing me so richly with faith and for Your Son who died for me.  I am not worth such love as I am often arrogant, and selfish, etc. among my many sins.  Please forgive me from my sins and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.