Tuesday, May 2, 2017

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

1 Peter 2

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. v9

Believers are chosen to be firm in their faith in Jesus so that we can "offer our bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to him" (Romans 12:1).  As Peter puts it, and as Paul encourages us, we are not to cause others to stumble or fall, but instead we are to draw others to Him by being a light unto others.

All who were sitting in the Sanhedrin looked intently at Stephen, and they saw that his face was like the face of an angel. Acts 6:15
 
You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.  Matthew 5:14-16 
 
My Prayer: Lord, You are an awesome God worthy of my full attention and passion.  There is no God like You.  Only You can save me from sins and give me eternal life.  Only You can provide the Holy Spirit - the same power that helped You rise from the grave.  Apart from You I can do no good things.  Thank You for blessing me richly - I am undeserving.  I worry and I know You don't want me to - please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.