Thursday, August 15, 2019

I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. You are still worldly.

1 Corinthians 3

I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. You are still worldly. v2-3

Paul continues to admonish the church in Corinth for their overemphasis on which of the church leaders to follow (Paul, Peter, Apollos, etc.) and on worldly wisdom.  He expects this of new believers whose faith is perhaps weaker and still developing. The implication of course is that we must grow and mature as believers. Peter also references spiritual milk and encourages us to grow:

Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good. 1 Peter 2:2-3

The author of Hebrews also encourages growth:

In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil. Hebrews 5:12-14

Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God, instruction about cleansing rite, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. And God permitting, we will do so. Hebrews 6:1-3

This post also provides a decent summary of what spiritual growth looks like.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who feeds me...daily.  You help me grow daily and You strengthen me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  I worry and I have other sin.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.