Thursday, August 8, 2019

Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Romans 13

Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. v9

In Romans 13:8-10, Paul pivots to how we are repay our debts, and he moves on to the importance of love.  Although many Bible scholars believe Jesus new covenant focuses on moral vs ceremonial law, there is still much in moral law for us to follow.  Yet both Jesus and Paul remind us how love (of God and for others) is most important.

Jesus replied: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:37-40 

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34-35

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You love me - more than I can ever imagine or understand.  I am grateful that You love me, because I am undeserving of Your love and for the countless ways You bless me and for Your grace.  Thank You.  Yet I worry and I have much sin - please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.