Wednesday, November 6, 2019

But I did not want to do anything without your consent, so that any favor you do would not seem forced but would be voluntary.

Philemon 1

But I did not want to do anything without your consent, so that any favor you do would not seem forced but would be voluntary. v14

In this short letter, a prison epistle from Paul to Philemon and his church in Colosse, Paul focus primarily on urging Philemon to forgive his former slave Onesimus from stealing from him and running away.  Onesimus ends up in Rome and meeting Paul where he becomes a believer.  Paul sends Philemon this letter through Onesimus - and it is a picture of Christian love.  For more on this book, see OverviewBible.com and the MacArthur Bible Study Commentary (for purchase).  

Paul is in a position to force Philemon to forgive Onesimus but rather he uses this as a teaching moment - he wants this to be voluntary.  As such, Paul uses scripture to encourage Philemon to exercise Christian love and grace with Onesimus.

Just as Christ willingly surrendered His life for us, Christ wants us to willingly exercise love with others. 

Christ does the same thing with money - we are to be a cheerful giver (see 2 Corinthians 9:7).

This is not a natural act as we are born sinners but with renewal of the mind, believers can love and forgive others as Christ does for us (see also post yesterday).

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who willingly laid down Your life for me - thank You.  Without a doubt, the most amazing gift of all time - not just for me but for all of humanity.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and a gift.  I am selfish...among my many sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.