Thursday, November 7, 2019

In the beginning, Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will roll them up like a robe; like a garment they will be changed. But you remain the same, and your years will never end.

Hebrews 1

In the beginning, Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment.  You will roll them up like a robe; like a garment they will be changed. But you remain the same, and your years will never end. v10-12

Although we don't know Hebrews' author, we can still determine key context critical for us to better understand this great book.  Both OverviewBible.com and MacArthur Bible Study Commentary (for purchase) indicate that encouragement for Messianic Jews facing persecution was the key objective for the author.  Both of these sources also indicate Hebrews as doctrine heavy so it is likely I will be parked in this book for a bit.

As I start Hebrews I pause on v10-12 and linger on God's permanent and unchangeable nature.  We know God loves us and because of his eternal and unchanging nature we can rely on Him and Him alone vs anyone or anything else.

God makes SO MANY great promises to us - they will all come to pass as He is faithful!

 My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves and who will always love me .and never leave me - thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such a God who loves me as You do.  I sin...daily and more than I can even recognize.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.