Monday, November 25, 2019

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

Hebrews 12

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. v1-3

John Piper offers - in my view - an extraordinary encouragement on these verses, particularly with respect to how we should not run aimlessly.

Piper says:
- "So into the church has crept the disease of drifting and neglecting. People are growing careless, spiritually lazy, and negligent.
- "They have begun to have a kind of lazy sense of security. A false notion that nothing really huge is at stake in their small group meetings or whether they meditate on the Bible or take time alone to pray or fight sin. They assume all will be well. Hebrews is written to teach them otherwise."
- "They made a profession of faith and went into a passive, coasting mode. This is utterly wrong."
- "Endure, persevere, run, fight, be alert, be strengthened, don’t drift, don’t neglect, don’t be sluggish, don’t take your eternal security for granted".
- "Don’t stroll, don’t meander, don’t wander about aimlessly. Run as in a race with a finish line and with everything hanging on it."
- "Then along comes a text like this which says that passivity and coasting and drifting are mortally dangerous."

We must RUN...and FIX OUR EYES on Jesus - this requires focus!  Focus implies a plan.

Piper suggests we "plan [a] fall run with Jesus".

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has provided MANY great witnesses, Your Word, The Holy Spirit, the church, my brothers and sisters in Christ, all of which give me coaching training, etc. - thank You Jesus!  I know You are always with me.  I am undeserving of such love.  I am harsh with my words and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.